Popular Posts

Sunday 15 March 2020

Mothers' Day Wines from The Co-op

Two wines for Mothers' Day from Ramon Bilbao and Vinalba via the Co-op

Is your mum a red or white sort of person?

In her youth, my Mum smoked, drank coffee and was attracted to my Dad for his spontaneity, idiosyncrasy and charisma.

More recently, Mum managed to get herself into a bit of a scrape and, when three people had tried and failed to help her, ended up calling the Fire Brigade, making a point of her age, and asking to be rescued. They said "Madam, we're on our way" and within a few minutes a crew of burly Firefighters had come get her out of trouble.

As she told me the story, I asked her: But did you not actually, at any point, consider the risks of what you were doing? She replied; look dear, if you're going to be like that about it, I won't tell you these stories any more.

I love my Mum.

Of course, I didn't tell her that at the time; I just told her I needed to see pictures or it didn't happen. It turns out that a selfie with the Fire crew was not a priority for her.

My Mum likes red wines and whites with a bit of  something about them (which is essentially what a rosé is), so here are two that will suit her.

Ramon Bilbao El Viaje Rosé (£8) elegant with red berries, citrus and stone fruits; florality, white pepper and minerality; good underpinnings so will stand up to food.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Drink as an aperitif or match with tapas, salmon or prawns.

Viñalba Finca La 70 Malbec Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 (£9) red and black berries, plum, vanilla and clove spice with dried green herbs. Substantial with generous extraction.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Match with darker game, such as duck-liver pate or venison steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment