Popular Posts

Sunday 12 June 2022

Two Supermarket Whites

Two supermarket whites

A slightly random pairing of two whites that I've had in my makeshift cellar for a while and which I felt needed drinking up.

In practice, both showed nicely and, for my palate, were in no rush to be consumed.

The Languedoc Sauvignon from Gerard Bertrand was a gift / leftover from one of #1 child's 6th form friends after we were ushered out of the house for her to have a summer pre-university party.

I'll be honest, I didn't have especially high expectations, but she turns out to have sophisticated friends.

The Soave was from one of Richard Bampfield's Lidl Wine Tour, bought at some point during lockdown; I doubt I paid full list price - but I might have done. It's actually not dissimilar to an entry-level Chablis in a warmer year. Just at a fraction of the price.

Corte Allodola Soave Classico, 2018 (£6.99)

orchard fruits with delicate hints of white flower and brazil nut; greengage and white stone fruits with melon and pear, honeysuckle and citrus; full, broad and supple. Starting to show a little evolution, in a good way. Well made.

Thoroughly pleasant.

Drinks nicely on first opening and can be further aged.

A versatile food wine, match with cheeses, white meats and creamy pasta dishes.


Gerard Bertrand Sauvignon Blanc, 2017 (£8.75, Morrison's)

Neither Loire nor kiwi in style; the best reference point is perhaps Bordeaux. The aromatics are restrained in favour of depth and breadth.

orchard fruits and pineapple with zippy grapefruit and sherbet; adept and well-made.

Thoroughly pleasant.

Does not show its age and improves significantly with aeration.

Match with monkfish in a herby broth, saltimbocca or pork with sage.

***

Further reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment